1. When: 4 – 15 April 2018
The Paraplegic Games will be held simultaneously during the span of 11 days. The year 2018 marks the 21st edition of the sporting competition—also known as the XXI Commonwealth Games.
2. Where: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
This is the fifth time that Australia is hosting the Commonwealth Games.
3. Total number of events: 275
This includes 18 sports and seven para-sports that will be contested. The sporting event will see the reintroduction of basketball, the dropping of judo, the debut of women’s rugby and beach volleyball.
4. There will also be seven additional women’s events in boxing, cycling and weightlifting added to the programme, making it an equal number of medals given out to men and women. This marks the first time in history that a major multi-sport competition placed such emphasis on gender equality.
5. Total number of nations participating: 71
6. Fun fact: The Maldives was initially scheduled to participate in the games but they withdrew from the Commonwealth in October 2016
7. Fun fact: The Gambia rejoined the Commonwealth in February which means that they will be taking part in this year’s Commonwealth Games.
8. Total number of Malaysian athletes competing: 178 in 21 sports, including 5 in the para-edition of the games.
9. Logo: A silhouette of the Gold Coast skyline
10. Motto: “Share The Dream”
11. Mascot: A blue koala with native markings on its body named Borobi—an Aboriginal term for koala.
12. Fun fact: Borobi has its own theme song called Days of Gold by Australian music duo Bobsy Marou
13. All events will take place in Gold Coast City except for track cycling, shooting and the preliminary rounds of basketball.
14. The opening ceremony is scheduled on 4 April at 7pm (10pm in Malaysian time) in Carrara Stadium. Australian singer, Delta Goodrem is set to headline the ceremony. Also, spot national triple-jump athlete Muhammad Hakimi Ismail swaying our Malaysian flag during the parade of nations.
15. Fun fact: Goodrem also performed at the opening ceremony of the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, which was the last time the event took place in the country.
16. The closing ceremony will be on 15 April at 7.30pm (10.30pm in Malaysian time), also taking place at Carrara Stadium.
17. The full schedule can be found here.
18. Purchase tickets here.
|SHARE THE STORY|