How to make Rendang Ayam Utara the way The Datai Langkawi makes it
Ayam sure you'll love this
Running out of ideas on what to cook at home during the MCO? In a continuing bid to support local (because #BUROSupportsLocal), we'll be sharing delicious recipes by Malaysian hotels. Can't go out to eat? Have a taste of it at home, made by you.
Rendang Ayam Utara recipe by The Datai Langkawi
Slow cooked chicken, lemongrass, galangal, roasted coconut, turmeric leaf and local spices
- 7pcs Garlic bulbs
- 15pcs Shallots
- 15gm Ginger
- 5pcs Lemongrass
- 20gm Galangal
- 10gm Fresh turmeric
- 50gm Chili paste
- 250ml Water
- 1tbsp Cumin powder
- 1tbsp Fennel powder
- 150gm Palm sugar
100gm Roasted grated coconut (kerisik) 1/2cup Coconut milk 2pcs Turmeric leaf, sliced 6pcs Lime leaf, sliced 1pc Cinnamon stick 6pcs Star anise
- 10pcs Clove
Salt & sugar to taste
- Cut chicken into pieces.
- Blend together all the paste ingredients.
- Heat a pot, add the paste and cook until boiling. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Add in turmeric leaves, lime leaves, cumin powder, fennel powder, cinnamon stick, clove, star anise, palm sugar and coconut milk and keep stirring.
- After a few minutes, add in the chicken.
- Braise slowly until chicken is tender. Add in roasted coconut and keep stirring until the oil has separated.
- Season to taste.
Also, why not keep up with The Datai Langkawi on their Instagram?