Q: What are we not paying attention to about hair ageing?
“Mainly, that two things affect and accelerate the process; first being that the level and state of damage at which your hair suffers very much depends on your exposure to the environment. Anything from UV rays, chemicals, and free radicals can accelerate the hair ageing process, despite your age.
“Secondly, that the problem is also impacted by hormonal changes, which is a more natural process relative to your age – the lower the supply of hormones in your body, the more affected your scalp health and hair growth process are.”
Q: What are some early tell-tale signs of the problem?
“You’ll notice an increase in hair breakage, split ends and a deterioration in your hair and scalp health, and once you start noticing your hair grows out at a much slower pace – it’s time to relook at your hair care routine.
“Besides age, people tend to neglect good hair care habits, which is a must if you want to maintain healthy, luscious hair. And no, just by shampooing alone will not give you the results you desire.”
Q: To what extent is hair-ageing reversible?
“Good news is, tests show that hair ageing is reversible up to 80 per cent, with proper salon care and home care combined, that is. The Kera-Therapy at salons, followed by the use of the Kérastase Resistance Therapie range at home can actually revive your hair, giving it a second chance at becoming healthy again.”
Q: What role does the range play in giving hair a ‘second life’?
“The range – which features a shampoo, conditioner, masque and a double serum – is formulated specifically for very damaged and overprocessed hair. But what’s really key in this range is that it is infused with Fibra-Kap (KAPs being the Keratin Associated Proteins in your hair, which account for up to 60 per cent of your hair structure), a powerful complex exclusive to Kérastase, which compensates for the loss of hair fibre, which are damaged over time.
“Coupled with the benefits of the Myrothamnus Flabellifolia, a rare resurrection plant with the unique ability to come ‘back to life’ after a near-death state, the range helps revive and reverse hair damage by giving it a new cycle of life.”
Try: The Masque Therapiste. Once or twice a week, massage the product into sections of towel-dried hair and let it sit for three to five minutes before rinsing it out. Over time, your hair will look livelier and more vibrant as a result.
Q: Tell us some of your top tips to ultimate hair health
1. “Always protect your hair with the right products, regardless of the climate you’re in.
Try: The Double Serum Therapiste. This oil-based serum moisturises the hair fibre and seals ends with a creamy-textured top-coat for extra protection. Apply two small pumps onto towel-fried ends and lengths of hair.
2. “Always blow dry after your shower. Contrary to the popular belief of ‘air drying’ your hair, a damp scalp may lead to the build up of bacterial, while tying up wet hair causes extra tension, leading to breakage.
3. “Get customised hair care solutions from a professional stylist – everyone’s hair concerns are different, what works for others may not work for you.
4. “Indulge in a scalp treatment every three weeks. The condition of your scalp changes over time and as you age, and it’s always to fix the problem at the root, so to speak.
5. “Do the ‘warm and cold’ rinse. Warm water before applying a hair mask or a conditions, and cold water as the last step of your hair care – this strengthens your hair inside out.”
Kérastase Resistance Therapiste is now available at all Kérastase Salons.
|SHARE THE STORY