You clicked on this story to find out the answer, right? Well, let’s head straight to it. The answer is, however, rather than absolutely preventing it, physical activity is known to reduce the risks of breast cancer—by at least 12 per cent lower for the most active woman who spend more than an hour a day doing vigorous activity.
But don’t be discouraged if you’re not that much of a fitness junkie. The key is to limit the time you spend sitting down and just move. Women who aren’t as active would still see a reduced risk as anything is better than nothing. Researchers in France deduced this after looking at studies involving more than four million women around the world who participated in prospective studies from 1987 to 2013 and found that regardless of age, race, country or even menopausal status, the decrease is the same.
Mathieu Boniol, research director at the Strathclyde Institute for Global Public Health in Lyon, France added that even for women who were overweight or obese could lower their risk by 10 per cent overall.
The connection between exercising and breast cancer risk is still unclear—although, generally, working out is known to lower the risks of many types of illnesses. The only possible link that researchers have (so far) concluded is that physical activity regulates hormones, which includes estrogen and insulin—the two that fuels breast cancer growth if a woman has high levels of these.
While it would be great to start hitting the gym, it’s understandable that it’s not for everyone. The National Breast Cancer Foundation advises as little as three hours of exercise per week—or 30 minutes a day—and as mild of an activity such as power walking just to begin lowering the risk of breast cancer.
Thinking of starting a more active lifestyle? Let us help you get started as we’re giving away three sets of Nike (pink) workout goodies (in size M) worth RM546 each.
You’ll receive an AS DF Cool Breeze Strappy Running Tank, Women’s Gym Club bag, 3-in-1 pack Dri-fit Graphic socks and a Nike Pro Indy Cool Bra.
All you have to do is fill in the form below to stand a chance to win.
Giveaway terms and conditions:
– This giveaway ends at 11:59pm, GMT+8, 17 October 2016. The winner(s) will be announced on 18 October 2016.
– The winner(s) of this giveaway will be notified via email.
– All information must be entered to qualify for this giveaway.
– Inability to contact the winner(s) within 3 months of notification will result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner(s).
– Prizes not claimed within three months of notification email will result in forfeiture.
– This giveaway is only open to residents in the Klang Valley.
– Buro 24/7 Malaysia will not entertain any complaints on the quality and quantity of the prizes after the prize is in the possession of the winners.
– Buro 24/7 Malaysia shall not be liable for any loss, including but not limited to direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage, personal injury or death which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with participation in this competition or accepting or utilising a prize.
|SHARE THE STORY