Just three months ago at WWDC 2023, Apple announced a slew of new devices including the Apple Vision Pro, new 15-inch Macbook Air, Mac Studio and M2 Ultra. Right on cue for its annual Apple Event on September 12, the American tech giant has revealed more exciting launches for fans of the brand and gadget enthusiasts to muse over.
Dubbed Wonderlust, the keynote event saw the first look of the iPhone 15 series, Apple Watch 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2. Without further ado, we break down the important upgrades to know for each device, as well as pricing and availability in Malaysia.
iPhone 15 & iPhone 15 Plus
The new iPhone 15 (6.1 inch) and iPhone 15 Plus (6.7 inch) features upgrades all-around in terms of design, display, cameras and battery life—largely thanks to the powerful A16 chip that it’s equipped with (the same one used in the iPhone 14 Pro models). Here are all the updates at a glance:
Design: Both models feature an industry-first colour-infused back glass with a textured matte finish, plus a new contoured edge on the aluminium enclosure.
Display: All iPhone 15 models now feature Dynamic Island (first seen on the iPhone 14 Pro models), with the base models getting an upgrade in peak outdoor brightness of up 2,000 nits.
Cameras: The iPhone 15 lineup is powered by an all-new 48MP Main Camera (quad-pixel sensor), and the base models now come with the 2x telephoto option for a total of three optical zoom levels. Additionally, Apple has introduced the next-generation of portraits, capturing better detail and low-light portraits with focus and depth control for post-capture editing, plus smart HDR. These upgrades will benefit the 48MP Main camera, Ultra Wide camera, and TrueDepth front camera.
Performance: As mentioned, the base models are powered by the A16 Bionic chip, featuring a 5-core GPU with 50 per cent more memory bandwith, and 6-core CPU that’s faster than its predecessor.
Connectivity: On top of Crash Detection and Emergency SOS, the iPhone 15 lineup is now equipped with Roadside Assistance via satellite services. However, these features are only available in limited countries, excluding Malaysia (for now).
Further, all iPhone 15 models will now use a USB‑C connector, which allows the same cable to charge iPhone, Mac, iPad, and the updated AirPods Pro (2nd generation). Users can also charge their AirPods or Apple Watch directly from an iPhone with the USB‑C connector. Both base models will support MagSafe and future Qi2 chargers for wireless charging. With the second-generation Ultra Wideband chip, iPhone 15 users can make full use of Precision Finding for Find My friends to share their location and find each other in crowds.
Battery: In line with Apple’s 2030 climate goals, the iPhone 15 lineup now features 100 per cent recycled cobalt batteries without compromising all-day battery life. This is equivalent to up to 20 hours of video playback on the iPhone 15 and up to 26 hours on the iPhone 15 Plus.
Colours: Pink, yellow, green, blue and black
Storage: 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB
Pricing: From RM4,399 for the iPhone 15 | From RM4,899 for the iPhone 15 Plus
Availability: Pre-orders start from 22 September, with availability beginning 29 September 2023
iPhone 15 Pro & iPhone 15 Pro Max
Claiming to “represent the best of Apple design and industry-first innovations” as the “most pro lineup Apple has ever created”, the iPhone 15 Pro (6.1-inch) and iPhone 15 Pro Max (6.7-inch) make their debut with several notable improvements where design, cameras, performance and connectivity are concerned. (Spoiler: avid mobile gamers will want to pay attention.) Here they are at a glance:
Design: The iPhone 15 Pro models are made with aerospace-grade titanium that ensures a strong and durable yet light design—complete with refined brush textures, new contoured edges, and the thinnest bezels ever on an iPhone. This 100 per cent recycled aluminium material is combined with industry-leading Ceramic Shield on the front for enhanced strength.
Plus, there’s an all-new Action button replacing the single-function switch previously used to toggle between ring and silent. This utilises a press-and-hold gesture with fine-tuned haptic feedback and visual cues in the Dynamic Island to give users greater customisability to choose between quickly accessing the camera or flashlight; activating Voice Memos and Focus modes; or using Shortcuts for more options.
Display: Like the base models, the pro models will also feature Dynamic Island, Super XR Retina Display, and Always-On Display—with the addition of Standby mode for a full‑screen experience of the time and customisable widgets while charging.
Cameras: Powerful camera upgrades give the iPhone 15 Pro models the equivalent of seven pro lenses with incredible image quality. This includes a more advanced 48MP Main camera system that now supports the new super-high-resolution 24MP default; the next generation of portraits with Focus and Depth Control; improvements to Night mode and Smart HDR; and an all-new 5x Telephoto camera exclusively on iPhone 15 Pro Max (the iPhone 15 Pro retains a 3x Telephoto camera). In addition, ProRes video can now be recorded directly to external storage, enabling higher recording options of up to 4K at 60 fps.
Performance: The advanced all-new A17 Pro—the industry’s first 3 nanometre chip—brings new heights of pro performance and capabilities to the top iPhone 15 models. It boasts a 10 per cent faster CPU and 20 per cent faster GPU plus hardware-based ray tracing for peak gaming performance. This also unlocks new games previously only available on consoles, like Resident Evil Village and Resident Evil 4 which are slated to launch later this year.
Connectivity: The new USB‑C connector for the iPhone 15 Pro models is supercharged with USB 3 speeds—up to 20x faster than USB 2 —enabling powerful pro workflows and file transfers. As with all models in the lineup, Roadside Assistance via satellite services will be available in selected countries.
Battery life: Apple claims up to 20 hours of video playback on the iPhone 15 Pro and up to 26 hours on the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
Colours: Natural titanium, blue titanium, white titanium and black titanium
Storage: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB for the iPhone 15 Pro | 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB for iPhone 15 Pro Max
Pricing: From RM5,499 for the iPhone 15 Pro | From RM6,499 for the iPhone 15 Pro Max
Availability: Pre-orders start from 15 September, with availability beginning 22 September 2023
Apple Watch Series 9
Representing a significant milestone toward Apple 2030, the Apple Watch Series 9 will offer the brand’s first carbon neutral product. Combined with its new S9 SiP chip, the watch is now more environmentally-friendly than ever before. Discover the key highlights ahead:
- Apple Watch Series 9 is powered by the all-new S9 SiP—Apple’s most powerful watch chip—with a new 4-core Neural Engine that can process machine learning tasks up to twice as fast as its predecessor.
- The new double tap gesture allows users to easily control the watch using just one hand without touching the display, by simply tapping the index finger and thumb of their watch hand together twice to quickly perform common actions such as stop a timer, play and pause music, or snooze an alarm.
- For the first time on Apple Watch, On-Device Siri allows users to perform tasks that do not rely on Wi-Fi or cellular networks, such as starting a workout or setting a timer.
- Thanks to the second-generation Ultra Wideband (UWB) chip, users can use the Apple Watch Series 9 for Precision Finding with the iPhone 15 family.
- The Apple Watch Series 9 has a brighter display of up to 2000 nits—double that of its predecessor.
- All-day 18-hour battery life
- Runs on WatchOS10, which delivers redesigned apps, the new Smart Stack, new watch faces, updated cycling and hiking features, and tools to support mental health
Sizes: 41mm and 45mm
Colours: Starlight, midnight, silver, (Product)Red | Case: Pink aluminium (new), as well as stainless steel in gold, silver, and graphite
Availability: Coming soon to apple.com/my and the Apple Store app
Apple Watch Ultra 2
Similarly, the Apple Watch Ultra 2 boasts many of the new features introduced in the Apple Watch Series 9, and then some. Carbon neutral options will also be available with selected materials and straps. Other noteworthy updates include:
- The Apple Watch Ultra 2 is equipped with the powerful S9 SiP and new 4-core Neural Engine that can process machine learning tasks up to twice as fast as the original Apple Watch Ultra.
- It supports the new double-tap gesture (see notes on Apple Watch Series 9 for more info).
- The new Modular Ultra watch face takes advantage of the large display, using the outermost edge to present real-time data, including seconds, altitude, or depth.
- In addition to scuba diving, freediving is now supported with the updated Oceanic+ app from Huish Outdoors. Meanwhile, the built-in Depth app now saves a log of each session for users to review it on the watch or in the Fitness app on iPhone.
- The Apple Watch Ultra 2 has an even brighter display of up to 3000 nits.
- On-Device Siri allows users to perform tasks that do not rely on Wi-Fi or cellular networks, such as starting a workout or setting a timer.
- With the second-generation Ultra Wideband (UWB) chip, users can use the Apple Watch Ultra 2 for Precision Finding with the iPhone 15 family.
- The watch runs on WatchOS10, which delivers redesigned apps, the new Smart Stack, new watch faces, updated cycling and hiking features, and tools to support mental health
- Battery life runs for up to 36 hours on a single charge and up to 72 on Low Power Mode.
Availability: Coming soon to apple.com/my and the Apple Store app
Apple AirPods Pro (2nd generation)
Finally, Apple also announced new updates for the AirPods Pro (2nd generation), including:
- A new MagSafe Charging Case (USB‑C)
- Double the Active Noise Cancellation compared to its predecessor
- Advanced Transparency mode and a more immersive Spatial Audio experience
- Same USB-C charging capabilities as the Mac, iPad, and the iPhone 15 lineup, so users can charge their AirPods directly with these devices
- Improved IP64 dust resistance
- Lossless Audio with Apple Vision Pro (available in the US early 2024) for ultra-low latency
- With iOS 17, all AirPods Pro (2nd generation) will gain access to new audio experiences like Adaptive Audio and Conversation Awareness
Availability: Coming soon to apple.com/my/
For more information on the new devices, visit the Apple website here.
Read more tech news and reviews here.
|SHARE THE STORY|