Mid-Autumn Festival 2023: 17 Most charming mooncake boxes in KL (and beyond)
Although the Mid-Autumn Festival is only taking place on 29 September 2023, preparations have already begun and it’s never too early to prepare some gifts for your loved ones. During the festival, families often come together to make and share mooncakes—a tradition that signifies unity. If you want to impress with thoughtfully curated boxes this year, these establishments have some of the prettiest mooncake gift sets we’ve seen so far.
1. W KUALA LUMPUR
W Kuala Lumpur is staying on top of the trends with its fashionable Moonlit Mirage Mooncake collection this year. The collection comes in two colours—Iconic Blue and Enigmatic Purple—and is a gift that can be reused in many ways. The chic, minimalist bag includes four mooncake flavours of your choice. There is also a Moonlit Mirage Mixology kit that comes with everything you need to be a professional mixologist at home!
- Moonlit Mirage Collection – RM268 nett for a bag and four mooncake flavours of your choice
- Moonlit Mirage Mixology set – RM348 for a 200ml bottle of Roku Gin, four bottles of mixers, one limited edition stirrer, one Roku shot glass, two mooncakes, and one recipe and instruction book
Early bird promotion: 25 per cent off from 15 – 31 July 2023
- From 15 July to 29 September 2023 on the ground floor of W Kuala Lumpur
- From 4 to 29 September 2023 at Pavilion Kuala Lumpur’s Mid-Autumn Festival showcase
- From 20 September to 1 October 2023 at Ground Floor, Centre Court, One Utama Shopping Mall
For more information, email [email protected] or WhatsApp 012-3574788.
2. SHANGRI-LA KUALA LUMPUR
This year, Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur’s mooncake collection centres around the theme “The Tie That Binds” and takes inspiration from Asian florals. To symbolise the unique connections that tie families together, the luxury hotel introduced the exclusive ‘Embrace the Magic’ Kids Gift Set (RM135 nett). With every purchase of this gift set, RM50 will be donated to Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur’s annual charity fund—“Embrace The Gift of Life”—an initiative that aims to support various noble causes to help those in need.
There are also carefully designed gift sets with vibrant colour palettes and distinct meanings. The pink gift box symbolises gratitude and appreciation, while the regal purple packaging exudes a sense of royalty and luxury, reflecting the thoughtfulness behind each gift.
- Premium Gift Box – RM498 nett for a box of eight mooncakes
- Ping Pei Gift Box – RM232 nett for a box of eight snow skin mooncakes
- Musang King Ping Pei Gift Box – RM539 nett for a box of eight Musang King mooncakes
Price: RM38 nett per piece | Every purchase of four pieces of baked mooncake comes with a Deluxe Gift Box
Early bird promotion: 15 per cent off from 10 July to 10 August 2023
Availability: Pre-order from 10 July 2023 for pick-up or delivery
For more information or to place an order, visit the Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur website here.
3. GRAND HYATT KUALA LUMPUR
Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur takes inspiration from the vibrant intricacies of the Peranakan community this Mid-Autumn season to present the Peranakan Trails mooncake collection. To pay homage to the Peranakan culture, Grand Hyatt paid close attention to every detail, making sure that the culture’s bright and eclectic characteristics translate well into the design.
- Peranakan Trails Collection – RM288 for a multipurpose jewellery box, a canvas tote bag, and four mooncakes.
- Peranakan Trails Premium Collection – RM308 for a multipurpose jewellery box, a canvas tote bag, and four mooncakes.
- Peranakan Trails Limited Edition Tea set – RM388 for a 2-tiered handcrafted wooden box, Chinese teapot set for two, premium Chinese tea, and two mooncakes.
Price: From RM288 per gift set | Enjoy early bird prices when you purchase from now until 31 July 2023
Availability: Pre-order now open. Self-collection will be available from 31 July 2023, while stocks lasts.
For more information, visit the Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur website here.
4. SHERATON PETALING JAYA
Sheraton Petaling Jaya’s mooncake collection is influenced by the traditional elegance of the festival. The mooncakes are placed in a beautifully crafted box called the Celestial Blooms, and are available in four different colours. The two-tiered box is designed with sustainability in mind and can be upcycled as a chest to store treasured trinkets and small ornaments.
Price: From RM25 per piece | From RM125 per gift box
Availability: From 13 July 2023.
Elevate the Mid-Autumn Festival’s spirit of giving by making an impact and supporting the refugee and local community. This year, PichaEats collaborated with 7tea1—an organisation that provides a safe, inclusive, and non-discriminatory platform for differently-abled and marginalised communities—to create three gift box sets.
Gift Box sets
- Golden Mooncake: a single mooncake gift box that includes either a traditional or Shanghai mooncake
- Mid-Autumn Fortune: a gift box that includes either two traditional mooncakes with two packets of assorted flower teas or four traditional mooncakes
- Blissful Reunion: a gift box that includes three traditional mooncakes and three packets of assorted flower teas
Price: From RM22 per unit
Availability: Pre-order and bulk purchases are available now
For more information or to place an order, visit the PichaEats website here.
6. THE WESTIN DESARU COAST RESORT
As an ode to exquisite craftsmanship, The Westin Desaru Coast Resort presents your favourite mid-autumn treat encased in an exquisite mint green circular bag that’s adorned with intricate motifs inspired by the lush greenery around the resort. The beautiful, meticulously crafted bags are also meant to be versatile, featuring a sturdy handle that allows you to use it as a purse or a charming vanity box.
Price: From RM28 per piece | From RM168 per gift box (set of four)
Early bird promotion: 20 per cent off from now until 6 September 2023
Availability: From 24 July to 29 September 2023
For more information or to place an order, visit The Westin Desaru Coast Resort website here.
7. THE RUMA HOTEL AND RESIDENCES
The RuMa Hotel is going classic for this year’s Mid-Autumn Festival. Two classic mooncake flavours—red bean paste and lotus paste with double egg yolk—are packaged in a beautiful wooden case that has an intricate pattern of the award-winning hotel’s porte-cochere. The box also comes in a vibrant red design to signify prosperity.
Price: RM128 nett per box, with 20 per cent off the total bill with the purchase of two or more boxes
Availability: Pre-order available now for pick-up from 2 August 2023 at The RuMa Hotel and Residences | Delivery can also be arranged with costs borne by the purchaser.
For more information or to place an order, visit The RuMa Hotel and Residences website here.
8. THE WESTIN KUALA LUMPUR
View this post on Instagram
Celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival with a gift inspired by lunar blooms and add a dainty touch to your celebrations with The Westin Kuala Lumpur’s The Flower Series: Garden of Bloom mooncake collection. The mooncakes are encased in a cylindrical jewellery case in a pretty shade of blush pink and adorned with peonies, butterflies, and bird motifs. The case also comes with a rose-gold magnetic clasp to secure the opening and a rose gold handle for easy carrying.
Price: RM238 per gift box (set of four)
- From 29 July to 29 September 2023 at The Living Room, The Westin Kuala Lumpur
- Shop online here
- From 4 – 29 September at Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
Early bird promotion: 20 per cent off from 29 July to 31 August 2023
For more information, call +603 2773 8495 or email [email protected].
9. HILTON KUALA LUMPUR
There’s something truly special about honouring traditional customs and sharing them with loved ones. Hilton Kuala Lumpur is embracing the mooncake season by blending heritage and craftsmanship. The Luminous Treasures mooncake box is carefully crafted with bamboo materials that embody elegance and cultural significance, featuring waves gracefully set below a full moon. Each box includes a complementary teapot and two tea cups.
On the other hand, the Moonlight Bloom box is a more traditional take with a red exterior and intricate Chinese lattice panels and floral motifs, while the Mid-Autumn Moonrise box holds a supermoon mooncake that’s super-sized for those who prefer a bigger portion to share.
Price: From RM45 per piece
- Luminous Treasure – From RM298 per gift box (set of four)
- Moonlight Bloom – RM178 per gift box (set of four)
- Mid-Autumn Moonrise (supermoon mooncake) – From RM388 per piece
Availability: From 1 July – 29 September 2023
For more information, call +603 2264 2264 or click here to order online.
10. THE RITZ CARLTON LANGKAWI
This mooncake season, The Ritz Carlton Langkawi is recreating mythical legends into mooncakes under the theme ‘A Legend Reinvented’, inspired by the mystical tale of the goddess Chang-e and the Jade Rabbit.
Led by Executive Sous Chef Jay Goh at Hai Yan, Langkawi’s only fine dining Chinese restaurant, the hotel’s team of culinary experts created the Lava Salted Egg Custard Mooncake to represent the light of the moon, while the decadent Valrhona Chocolate Custard Lava Mooncake represents the mortar used by the Jade Rabbit. The mooncakes are encased in a classic wooden box.
Availability: For dine-in or takeaway at Hai Yan, from 15 August – 30 September 2023 at 1pm-4pm and 6.30pm-10.30pm
Price: RM58 per piece, RM116 for two
For more information, visit The Ritz Carlton Langkawi’s website here.
11. OVERSEA RESTAURANT
Mooncakes from Oversea Restaurant don’t only taste good; they’re also pleasing to the eye as they arrive encased in thoughtfully designed packaging. The gift boxes feature a floral design that stands out with vivid colours and wild flowers, making it an ideal gift for your loved ones.
The Moonlight Treasure gift box includes eight mooncakes with Pu-Er tea and a set of golden cutlery, while the Opulent Treasure gift box contains eight mini mooncakes.
- Moonlight Treasure – RM238 nett for a box of eight mooncakes
- Opulent Treasure – RM168 nett for a box of eight mini mooncakes
To purchase or for more information, click here.
12. THE ST REGIS KUALA LUMPUR
View this post on Instagram
A set that’s bound to catch your eye from a mile away, The St Regis Kuala Lumpur’s mooncake collection is inspired by the rich heritage of Caroline Astor’s legacy. The mooncakes are housed in trunks that are an exquisite combination of pastel blue exteriors and soft pink suede interiors.
For an added flair, you can opt for the limited edition Swarovski Mooncake Trunk. This is adorned with Swarovski crystals as an ode to Caroline Astor’s love for diamonds and includes one supermoon mooncake.
Availability: 5 July – 29 September 2023
- Classic Mooncake Trunk – RM339.62 for a box of four mooncakes
- Classic Mooncake Trunk – RM429.24 for a box of eight mooncakes
- Limited Edition Swarovski Mooncake Trunk – RM630.18
To purchase or for more information, click here.
13. PARKROYAL COLLECTION KUALA LUMPUR
ParkRoyal Collection Kuala Lumpur has released its first Mid-Autumn Festival collection entitled Gilded in Gold. Packed in an alluring golden box that represents wealth, health, and longevity, these mooncakes are made from the finest ingredients to cater to a variety of preferences and tastes.
- Traditionally Timeless – RM188 nett for a box of four baked skin mooncakes
- Celestial Indulgence – RM238 nett for a box of four pieces of baked skin mooncakes
- Sip and Savour – RM1,288 nett for a box of Celestial Indulgence mooncakes paired with a bottle of the Macallan 12, and a seafood buffet dinner for two at Thyme
- Essence of Tradition – RM2,888 nett for a box of Celestial Indulgence mooncakes, a bottle of Mao-Tai Chinese rice wine (subject to availability), and a seafood buffet dinner for two at Thyme
- Stay Beneath the Moon – RM6,888 nett for a luxurious 2D1N stay in the ParkRoyal Collection Suite for two with breakfast, a box of Celestial Indulgence mooncakes, a bouquet of fresh roses, a photography session, and a candle-lit dinner
- A Royal Collection – RM16,888 nett for two boxes of Celestial Indulgence mooncakes, one bottle of Remy Martin Louis Xlll Cognac (subject to availability), and a seafood buffet dinner for four at Thyme
Availability: 15 August – 29 September 2023
Early bird promotion: 15 per cent until 31 August 2023. Not applicable for Sip and Savour, Essence of Tradition, Stay Beneath the Moon, and A Royal Collection packages
To purchase and for more information, click here.
14. SUNWAY HOTEL
Delight in the sight of a full moon and enjoy Sunway Hotel’s mooncake collection with your family this year. The mooncakes come in a premium forest green and gold drawer featuring four flavours—white lotus paste with egg yolk, pandan with lotus paste, red bean, and mixed nuts.
Availability: From 25 August to 29 September 2023 at Sunway Resort Hotel‘s lobby and Linkway Café
Price: RM42 nett per piece | RM268 nett for a box with the four mooncake flavours of your choice
For more information, click here.
15. INTERCONTINENTAL KUALA LUMPUR
Celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival with InterContinental Kuala Lumpur’s Moonlit Garden collection boxes which are made entirely out of bamboo, in an effort to create a positive impact on the environment.
Choose between Moonlit Waters, a rectangular-shaped box with a blue background, or Moonlit Blossoms, a square-shaped box with a pink background. Both feature intricate carvings of koi fish, which pay homage to the hotel’s very own lush koi garden and are also adorned with cherry blossom motifs that symbolise hope and renewal. The imagery on the boxes don’t only symbolise longevity but also serve as a reminder to care for the environment so we may indulge in its beauty for years to come.
- Classic Moonlit Waters – RM138 nett for two baked mooncakes
- Premium Moonlit Waters – RM168 nett for two Mooncakes (excluding Musang King Snow Skin and Butterfly Pea Flower Snow Skin)
- Classic Moonlit Blossoms – RM178 nett for four baked mooncakes
- Premium Moonlit Blossoms – RM228 nett for four mooncakes (excluding Musang King Snow Skin and Butterfly Pea Flower Snow Skin)
- Luxe Moonlit Blossoms – RM288 nett for four Mooncakes, two Tao signature black tea sachets that are wrapped in Furoshiki fabric, and a tote bag
Availability: From 7 August – 29 September 2023 at the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur hotel lobby
For more information, visit the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur website here.
16. MANDARIN ORIENTAL KUALA LUMPUR
If you want a gift with the classic red and gold hues this Mid-Autumn Festival, then opt for Mandarin Oriental’s mooncake collection. Once again, the luxury hotel has collaborated with the award-winning Lai Po Heen for their collection and has put an emphasis on sustainability. The mooncakes are presented in an eco-friendly bamboo box with a premium finish and is lined with red velvet that gives it an elegant touch.
- From 7 July 2023 onwards
- Purchases can be made at the Mandarin Cake Shop at the lobby or online
- RM160 for a box of four
- RM240 for a box of six
For more information or to purchase, click here.
17. LADY YI’S TEA HOUSE
The timeless Treasures Mooncake Collection from Lady Yi’s Tea House at Four Points by Sheraton Kuala Lumpur, Chinatown is a tribute to Lady Yi and her grandmother, who share many cherished memories during the Mid-Autumn Festival. Inspired from the radiant paper lanterns that illuminate the season’s celebrations, the box is designed as a tangible keepsake that embodies the exquisite beauty of Peranakan artistry with its intricate tile motifs. In lieu of traditional candles, the box comes with an LED candle to replicate the experience—but with greater longevity and practicality of use.
Apart from serving as a reusable lantern for this mooncake season and beyond, the Peranakan-inspired packaging can also be used as a storage box after you polish off the four delectable treats it holds within. Furthermore, the four shelves in the box can be removed and repurposed as coasters. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!
Price: RM188+ per box
Discover more mooncake collections here.
|SHARE THE STORY|