5 Things to know about Virgil Abloh's Louis Vuitton debut
Over the rainbow
1. Held at the Palais-Royale Garden, over 1,000 guests—excluding 1,500 local design students invited to by the designer—braved the afternoon heat to watch Virgil Abloh's first collection as Louis Vuitton's new menswear artistic director. On their seats? A book that contains his "liberal definition of terms and explanation of ideas". The catwalk was in gradient rainbow hues that complemented the theme of the collection, "colour as metaphor".
2. Known for his army of celebrity friends, the star-studded FROW include supermodels Naomi Campbell and Natalia Nadianova; athletes Victor Cruz and Russell Westbrook; rappers A$AP Rocky and Travis Scott; It-girls Bella Hadid and Kylie Jenner; actors Alexander Skarsgård and Chadwick Boseman; pop stars Rihanna and Rita Ora; not forgetting longtime collaborator Kanye West, who attended the show with Kim Kardashian. Kim Jones, the previous menswear artistic director (who will be making his debut at Dior Homme tonight) was also present to lend his support. Aside from that, the designer also featured some of his famous friends such as Kid Cudi, Dev Hynes, and A$AP Nast in the model line-up.
3. Made up of 56 looks, the show opened with a series of all-white ensembles before diving into other colours such as brown, green, red and blue. Differing slightly from his predecessor Kim Jones' crisp tailoring aesthetic, Virgil injected his streetwear flair into the collection. From blazers to casual yet streamlined parkas and bomber jackets, the array of outerwear was mostly paired with baggy trousers and sneakers, and hoodies were juxtaposed with sleek duster coats. We love the pops of neon that appeared halfway through the collection in the form of vests and gloves, and the camouflage, floral and tie-dye prints that gave the mostly monochrome ensembles that added interest. The closing look, was a silver poncho with a "Follow the Yellow Brick" patch, which is a reference to The Wizard of Oz. Below, some of the most eye-catching looks from the collection:
4. The accessories were equally statement-making. There were chest rigs, utility belts made up of a few mini Petit-Malles, furry backpacks and embossed duffle bags, but our favourite, is the carryall in plastic and iridescent colour. Abloh's debut sneaker for the brand was also revealed. The black-and-silver ankle-strap high-top exudes that bit of retro feel, with red accents and the "Vuitton" word on the soles.
5. One of the most talked about moments of the show, was definitely Virgil Abloh's finale walk, where he shared an emotional hug with Kanye West. Virgil Abloh has been the longtime creative director of Kanye West's projects as a whole.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Buro 24/7 Selection