Happy birthday Tun Mahathir! As our nation's prime minister turns 93 today, we take a look back at some of the charismatic leader's best quotes to live by:
1. "We need an opposition to remind us if we are making mistakes. When you are not opposed you think everything you do is right."
2. "[On his secret to longevity] I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't overeat. I eat just enough food to keep me going."
3. "Knowledge has always been important, of course. The ancient Egyptians did not raise the stones for the pyramids relying on the incantations of their gods. The waters in the irrigation canals of the great Indus Civilisation did not flow according to the laws of ignorance. Knowledge has always been power and wealth."
4. "Just as no one can do anything to us worse than what we can do to ourselves, no one can do for us anything better than what we can do for ourselves."
5. "[On the Information Age] If bones have turned to coral, if eyes have turned to pearls, if we have already seen a sea change, we must now prepare ourselves for an ocean change. Those who are strong enough and empowered enough to sail on this vast new ocean will reach shores never before dreamt of."
6. "No one should have extra influence on an organisation. We should always regard ourselves as equals in the organisation, and we should be concerned about each other's problems."
7. "To be a great leader, one needs to have good strategies, be knowledgeable and able to predict the future."