This new-age, power-woman beauty look is goals, as seen at Chanel
Power in austerity
At Chanel's sprawling library in the Grand Palais, Paris yesterday, a new era dawned—one made by women (specifically, Lagerfeld's successor Virginie Viard) for women. The brand debuted Viard's couture collection for FW19, but what complemented the 70-look lineup were the quietly stunning beauty looks conceptualised by Chanel's Global Global Creative Make Up and Colour Designer Lucia Pica.
"I wanted the feeling of the girl to be strong and confident with an authority feel to her," says Pica. Eschewing smokey eyes, bold lips, and elaborate hairdos typically seen during the brand's past couture runway shows, there was a minimalist take to the hair and makeup looks this time around. Slicked-back, fuss-free ponytails and nude-out complexions echoed the collection's nonchalant elegance—if there was a new-age librarian-chic aesthetic that we could get used to, it'd be this.
Inspired by the idea of "luxurious elegant readers", she gave the skin a natural finish (blurred and smoothed to perfection) that contrasted beautifully with bold, look-at-me brows and an elongated winged-out eyeliner for a dash of effortless confidence.
Here's how you can get the look:
1. Prep the skin with the Les Beiges Eau de Teint to give the skin light and natural coverage.
2. Conceal the area around the eyes with La Palette Essentielle.
3. Pat on Poudre Universelle Libre to set the skin.
4. Use the Stylo Sourcils Waterproof eyebrow pencil to define and draw the brows, elongating the ends for a sophisticated look.
5. Brush the brows with Le Gel Sourcils N°350 brow gel in Transparent. A good tip to give brows a naturally-groomed look is to brush it upwards and against the natural direction of hair growth.
6. Line the upper lash line with the Calligraphie De Chanel cream eyeliner in N°65 Hyperblack and extend the line out the corners of the eyes.
7. Curl lashes and coat with Le Volume Revolution De Chanel in N°10 Noir.
8. Use a brush to apply the Baume Essentiel multi-use glow stick along the cheekbones and bridge of the nose.