Grooming tips every man needs to know
For the ultimate clean-shaven look
What is an insider's tip to achieving a close and comfortable shave?
The average man has 25,000 hairs on his face and you want to remove this hair while preserving the skin's integrity. So an insider's tip would always prep the skin before shaving. Shaving in the shower is ideal; but if it isn't possible, make sure you soften the beard with warm water and always follow this by using our Truefitt & Hill Pre-Shave Oil. This simple oil will reduce irritation of the skin and give a more enjoyable shave for even the most amateur shavers amongst us.
How are shaving brushes useful for grooming?
- Using a shaving brush is probably the best step to improving a man's shaving results and getting the closest possible shave. The benefits of a shaving brush over your fingers include:
- • Generates more lather
- • Uses less shaving cream, gel or soap
- • Lifts hair on your face for the closest possible shave
- • Opens up your pores
- • Naturally exfoliates your skin for a younger look
- • Closer shave and better shave
- • Less irritation, razor burn, and ingrown hairs
- What do you think is the most important step that men need to take while shaving that they aren't aware of?
- Always use a clean blade. A dirty or old blade will always lead to razor burns and in some cases, infected pores and cuts.
- What would you say the biggest difference is between straight razor shaving and shaving using a safety razor?
- The main benefit a safety razor has over a straight razor is convenience. Using a safety razor is as simple as putting in the blade, closing it up, choosing the right setting for the blade, then going to work. The safety aspect—the "grill" type cover that users of modern cartridges will be familiar with—makes it difficult to cut yourself. The straight razor needs to be handled with care and you cannot rush. The advantage is of course, you will never have to buy another blade as long as you take care of it.
- What is the best product to use post-shave and why?
- This really depends on your shave. But always finish a shave with a moisturizing cream. This rehydrates the skin as shaving can be harsh on the skin.
- What grooming tip can you give to those who are prone to ingrown hairs or have sensitive skin?
- Most ingrown hairs can be avoided by using the correct products. A Truefitt & Hill brush will lift the hair while our shaving creams will suspend the hair for a close shave. This will drastically reduce irritation and ingrown hairs. Truefitt & Hill's No. 10 range has also been specially formulated and dermatologically tested for those with sensitive skin.
- What are the top few products that every well-groomed man needs in his toiletries kit and cabinet?
- Personally, every man should have a good razor, a badger hair brush and a pre-shave oil. And if you want that added touch, one of Truefitt & Hill's shaving creams and an aftershave balm and you are all set. Keep it simple. At Truefitt & Hill we sell several starter shaving kits and we will help you chose the ideal kit for you.