#MalaysianRecipes: Modern Durian Crème Brûlée with Kopi O’ Foam by Marcus Low
A unique marriage of flavours
For a simple Malaysian-inspired dessert, Delectable by Su's founder shared a kaya toast crème brûlée recipe. For a more intense recipe, MasterChef Asia Season 1 runner up (also famously dubbed as the "Dessert King" by the judges while on the show) Marcus Low was inspired by the unique combination of durian and coffee when we asked him to participate in our #MalaysianRecipes series. Hence, he decided to create the interesting Durian Coffee drink in a meat-free dessert form, using a crème brûlée technique by Chef Francisco Migoya.
Marcus Low's Modern Durian Crème Brûlée with Kopi O' Foam and Bentong Ginger Shortbread recipe
Durian Crème Brûlée
300g durian flesh
70g castor sugar
3g agar-agar powder
1g locust bean gum (optional)
1. A day before, place half of the cream in a ziplock bag together with the durian seeds from the durian flesh to infuse. (Durian seeds have a lot of flavours!)
2. The next day, strain the cream from the durian seeds and blend the strained mixture together with the durian flesh until it has a smooth texture.
3. Place the other half of the cream into a pot.
4. Mix the sugar, salt, agar and locust bean gum in a small bowl until it is mixed.
5. Place the sugar mixture into the cream in the pot and bring to a boil while constantly stirring. Leave to boil for 5 seconds and then turn off the heat.
6. Mix the boiled cream into the remainder of the durian cream and mix well.
7. Pour the cream mixture into a cylinder mould and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Durian & Coffee Gel
4g instant coffee powder
40g durian flesh
2g agar-agar powder
1. Mix the sugar, salt and agar powder in a small bowl.
2. Place cream, milk and coffee powder into a pot.
3. Stir the two mixtures together and bring to boil while stirring.
4. Let the mixture boil for 20 seconds and turn off the heat. Then, throw in the durian flesh and mix.
5. Pour the mixture into a flat tray and let it cool down at room temperature.
6. Once it has turned into jelly, roughly cut the jelly and blend the mixture into a smooth gel with a blender.
7. Store in a piping bag.
Bentong Ginger Shortbread
100g butter at room temperature
150g all-purpose flour or pastry flour
50g castor sugar
5g Bentong ginger (or any kind of ginger powder)
1. Place the butter and sugar in a mixer and beat until aerated and the mixture has turned into almost white.
2. Mix the remainder of the dry ingredients into the butter and gently fold until well mixed.
3. Wrap the dough in non stick paper and place into the fridge for an hour until firm.
4. Once it has become firm, roll the dough into a thin layer (with a thickness of around 1 cm).
5. Prick the dough with a fork.
6. Bake the dough for 15 minutes at 150 degrees or until the dough becomes golden brown.
7. Using a round cookie cutter (bigger than the durian mould), cut out the dough while it is still warm.
8. Save the shortbread aside for use later.
Kopi O' Foam
350g coffee of your choice ( I used Kopi O' bungkus from the nearby kopitiam)
6g soy lecithin (can be purchased from health food stores)
1. Warm the coffee with the sugar until melted.
2. Mix with the lecithin.
3. Place the mixture into a deep bowl and using a hand stick blender, aerate the mixture to form bubbles on the surface.
4. Store aside once there are enough bubbles.
Assembling the dessert
1. Place the shortbread onto a tray and then place the disc of the durian crème brûlée on top of the shortbread.
2. Sprinkle some sugar onto the crème brûlée.
3. Using a blow torch, torch the top of the crème disc until it is dark brown making sure it is evenly browned.
4. Pipe a generous heap of coffee gel into the side of the shortbread.
5. Spoon a heap of Kopi O' foam onto the gel.
6. Place on a plate and serve immediately.
Check out the rest of Marcus Low's amazing desserts at @madhatter_desserts on Instagram and stay tuned for the opening of his dessert cafe in a few months.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Buro 24/7 Selection
10 Celebrity bridesmaid dresses that are all the inspiration you need
For the unconventional bride: 6 Bridal 2019 trends to inspire your wedding look
12 Eco-friendly brands to kickstart your sustainable beauty routine
5 Gorgeous destinations in Southeast Asia for a long bachelorette weekend getaway
7 Things you can do this weekend: 21—22 April 2018
Buro 24/7 Selection