8 Things to look out for at New York Fashion Week SS19
Fashion month begins
1. Longchamp will be staging its first official runway show this season, but instead of France, the brand has decided to make its debut in the Big Apple instead. Longchamp is celebrating its 70th anniversary this year, and has been continuing its expansion with a Fifth Avenue flagship store back in May, a collaboration with Hood By Air designer Shayne Oliver, and tapping Kendall Jenner as its ambassador for four seasons, starting from AW18.
In the meantime, watch the brand's AW18 campaign here:
2. Proenza Schouler and Rodarte may have opted out of NYFW for Paris Couture Week three seasons ago, but both brands are now back on the schedule. Their homecoming will definitely be a great addition to the designers list this season, as brands such as Altuzarra and Thom Browne are still staying put in Paris.
3. Having shown its SS19 coed show back in June, Kenzo's co-creative director Humberto Leon will be premiering his short film titled The Everything, starring Milla Jovovich. The 27-minute drama—centering around a family of teenagers with unusual powers—will feature looks from the brand's AW18 collection and La Collection Memento No. 3.
Watch the trailer here:
4. A few brands to look out for? Nicola Glass' first collection at Kate Spade New York; Hugo Boss' new direction after Jason Wu's departure; and Wes Gordon's Carolina Herrera debut. German brand Escada will also be showing for the first time since 2015, helmed by Niall Sloan, who previously worked at Hunter and Burberry.
5. Rihanna is also back on the NYFW schedule with her lingerie and accessories line, Savage x Fenty. Adopting a see-now-buy-now format, the pieces will be launched immediately on SavageX.com. If the Fenty x Puma SS18 show featuring BMX riders and sand dunes is of any indication, guests can expect a good show.
6. After the brand's magical show at Disneyland last season, Opening Ceremony is continuing the fun with the help of RuPaul Drag Race season nine winner, Sasha Velour. Titled 'The Gift of Showz', attendees can expect an event that celebrates the art of drag—the drag superstar has hinted at some special guests.
7. French jeweller Cartier will also be launching something special during NYFW—unveiling its Precious Garage concept by artist Desi Santiago. The installation—in the brand's Fifth Avenue store—will highlight the brand's Juste un Clou and Écrou de Cartier collections, and it'll be open to the public from September 7 to 26.
8. Alexander Wang is leaving fashion week after 12 years on the schedule, after announcing his decision to move his shows off-season to June and December. The brand will be combining its pre and main collections into one. Victoria Beckham is also relocating back to London for her SS19 show to celebrate her 10th anniversary.
Stay tuned for all our SS19 Fashion Month updates.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection