Have you been to any of the world’s 20 most popular museums?
A museum is an interesting monument where history can be revisited and knowledge is readily available to the curious mind. Many do make it a point to pay these institutions a visit when in school or travelling for glimpses into the greatest work of art, significant artefacts and narration of the past.
There are many remarkable museums in the world. According to the latest report by the Theme Index and Museum Index, which ranked the most popular attractions by attendance, the most-visited museum in the world for 2017 is the Louvre in Paris. Around 8.1 million people stepped through the hallowed halls to admire masterpieces such as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo sculpture and the Winged Victory of Samothrace artwork from ancient Greece.
The second spot went to Beijing's National Museum of China, which had 8 million visitors. The National Air and Space Museum in Washington and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York are tied at third place.
An interesting finding of the report is that museums in Asia recorded the fastest growth in 2017 where China alone has seven museums listed in the global top 20 ranking. Here are the top 20 most-visited museums in the world:
1. Louvre, Paris, France
2. National Museum of China, Beijing, China
3. National Air and Space Museum, Washington, United States
4. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, United States
5. Vatican Museums, Vatican City
6. Shanghai Science & Technology Museum, Shanghai, China
7. National Museum of Natural History, Washington, United States
8. British Museum, London, United Kingdom
9. Tate Modern, London, United Kingdom
10. National Gallery of Art, Washington, United States
11. National Gallery, London, United Kingdom
12. American Museum of Natural History, New York, United States
13. National Palace Museum, Taipei, Taiwan
14. Natural History Museum, London, United Kingdom
15. State Hermitage, St. Petersburg, Russia
16. China Science Technology Museum, Beijing, China
17. Reina Sofia, Madrid, Spain
18. National Museum of American History, Washington, United States
19. Victoria & Albert Museum, London, United Kingdom
20. Centre Pompidou, Paris, France