Disney’s live-action 'Mulan': What we know so far
Yes, it's happening
1. The movie is set to open in theatres on 2 November 2018. If all goes well, that is only about two years to go!
Update: The release date has been pushed back to 27 March 2020.
2. The studio will launch a global casting search for a Chinese actress to play the legendary female warrior—no further details are known about this search yet though.
Update: Liu Yifei has been announced to play Mulan!
3. It will also be released in 3D, bringing all the Mulan action (and a fire-breathing Mushu, we hope!) closer to you than ever before.
4. Disney bought a spec script for the live-action Mulan last year, and they have called aboard Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, who both co-wrote Jurassic World, to rewrite it. Jaffa and Silver are also currently working on the Avatar sequel.
5. A director for the film has yet to be announced, but Jason Reed, Chris Bender and Jake Weiner are set to produce the much-anticipated project.
Update: The film will be directed by Niki Caro.
Who will play the lead roles? Will there be songs like the original Mulan production? Only time will tell. Till then, we'll leave you with one of our favourites scenes from the 1998 animated film: