Exclusive: Q&A with Joan Smalls, the face of Moschino Gold Fresh Couture
This season, Moschino debuts an all new addition to its Fresh Couture fragrance universe, the Gold Fresh Couture that looks like it's been kitted out with 24k gold. Decked in a gold tone that screams luxe (and a touch of extravagance), the Gold Fresh Couture is an ode to femininity with its notes of mandarin orange, white peach, and pear, along with a floral heart of jasmine, orchid and lily-of-the-valley; and a musky base of sandalwood and vanilla that is tampered with akigalawood and patchouli.
In this behind the scenes video, check out the new face of the fragrance, supermodel Joan Smalls, working it in front of the camera for the scent's official campaign stills. Don't forget to scroll down to read an exclusive Q&A with the Puerto Rican beauty on what aspects she loves most about the fragrance and diversity in the modeling industry:
1. Last year you were cast for the Moschino fashion campaign, you are now the face of Moschino Gold Fresh Couture perfume. How did you click with Jeremy Scott?
Jeremy is a genuine, talented and real individual. I admire how he expresses himself so lively in his designs. It's very unique. And it never feels like work, he puts the fun in everything he does.
2. How was working with Jeremy on the set? Did you have fun?
It is always fun to work with Moschino and Jeremy is super whimsical. Giampaolo Sgura has a great eye to capture the image and is so easy about the whole process. I've always been a fan of his work.
3. How would you describe the woman wearing the Gold Fresh Couture fragrance? In this sense, are you a Gold Fresh Couture woman?
Daring and willing to have fun at the same time.
4. What do you like the most about the fragrance?
The packaging is unique and fun. I like the juxtaposition of it all.
5. Which ingredient do you like the most and why?
Vanilla and sandalwood. One is sweet the other spicy it's a good balance.
6. Are the fragrance's facets similar to your traits?
Absolutely. Being Puerto Rican and black you get a good mixture of spiciness and passion. I was raised to speak up for myself in any situation, and it's okay to ask questions, because if you can't stand up for yourself no one else will.
7. In the fashion business, rankings are always in fashion, and you are listed by models.com among the "New Supers" as well as in the "Money" rank. What makes you happier, status or money?
I think being able to have status just gives you a reminder that your hard work pays off and people give you credit for it and that is extremely flattering. Money is always a plus, it definitely helps and I'm extremely grateful for it. But it's not why I love doing what I do.
8. When did you realize you had the potential to go that far?
Believing in myself and knowing that there's more success. My character is hard to satisfy therefore I'm always searching for more, more out of life, more out my career. A constant growth is my drive.
9. Now that you are so international, what does Puerto Rico mean to you?
Puerto Rico is home. It's where my roots are. No matter where I travel to, the country is always in my heart.
10. You got out of the anonymity that seems to be the new normal even for successful models now, and you've become a spokesperson for "diversity". Did you experience racism first-hand? Have you been refused for jobs because of the colour of your skin?
Yes, I have been refused opportunities for the colour of my skin and that's unfortunate and very narrow-minded. But I never let that hold me down. I've surrounded myself with creative individuals who see beauty for what it is. Your race, colour or creed is what's beautiful and being inclusive of all. It is an uphill battle that people do not see behind closed doors, emails and when brands just think of filling a stereotype or using a model as a convenient marketing strategy. It's about pushing through all the negative noise.
11. On your Instagram account you published "Stages of dating a Latina: 1. She's cute 2. Also funny 3. Well she's funny mean 4. Wait, she's actually mad 5. I'm scared 6. Send help 7. Why is my house on fire" And you added: "just kidding". But there is a grain of truth in every joke. What part of this is actually true about you?
Probably all of it. Latinas are passionate creatures. We love hard but we are determined when we are crossed. It's basically just a warning.
12. Having to choose between the two, would you prefer to be described as "cute" or "sexy"?
I would say I'm a good combination of both. I think being cute is sexy. And having a little edge and mystery keeps people wanting more.
13. You studied psychology and graduated in two years instead of four. What profession — besides modeling — would you like to attempt?
I would have continued and gotten my doctorates in Psychology. I love getting to know individuals and what drives them, how you can understand the human psyche and aid in helping. Being empathetic and open minded is something not everyone can do, my mother is a social worker and she's inspired me to want to help and give your attention to others, that's the most selfless thing to do.
Moschino Gold Fresh Couture will be available this April. Watch this space for updates.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Buro 24/7 Selection