Recap: Alicia Tan's can't-live-without beauty essentials and secrets to her glowing skin
It'd be hard-pressed to not be curious about beauty YouTuber Alicia Tan's skincare secrets. The content creator's poreless complexion isn't just flawless to boot—if there was an image associated to the K-beauty glass skin trend, it would likely be her visage.
On our previous BURO. Hangouts: Live session, we had a chat with the "skin glow devotee" on her all-time favourite masks, breakout remedies and more:
10 Takeaways from our BURO. Hangouts: Live session with Alicia Tan -
1) A fragrance you love wearing at home: "I've been loving Jo Malone London's Honeysuckle & Davana with English Pear & Freesia. I'm wearing that right now, and I like to wear it both at home and out. It's sweet but when it lingers, it smells even nicer. What I wear depends on what I feel—sometimes I like Gucci Bloom or Guerlain—but when I don't know what to use, I'll go for my Jo Malone London fragrances."
2) A current favourite night serum: "My HG serum that I've been using for more than a year is the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Serum—it's a great overall serum. I don't know why but I've been breaking out even while staying indoors. I've been using Sunday Riley's Good Genes (a lactic acid treatment) and Luna Sleeping Oil (which has retinol) both once or twice a week, and it really helps with breakouts—it dries the acne out and gives me a glow. If you have acne or dark spots it will work for you as well. For something that's more gentle but still exfoliates, I like YSL Beauty's Pure Shots Night Reboot Resurfacing Serum."
3) A hand cream you’ve been using during MCO: "I've been using the L'Occitane Shea Butter hand cream, it's really moisturising. I also like Kora Organics Noni Glow Body Oil. It's not greasy and it really does moisturise, and the scent is very calming and therapeutic."
4) A mask that you don’t mind using for life: "I use different masks everyday, but I realise that I use masks from Fresh Beauty the most. I love the Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask—it's a good one that gives me soft, smooth skin and has a cooling sensation. It's a mask that makes me (and my skin) happy. Another runner-up is the Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Rescue Mask. This is a gentle exfoliating mask; I can probably use it everyday—and it feels like it's gentle enough for me to use until I turn 50!"
5) A sheet mask you love right now: "I'm not picky with my sheet masks. I use anything from Dr. Jart+ to Chuck's to When to Clef Skincare (which I'm really impressed by—it's a local brand and its quality is great. The fit is just nice and it's quite thin as well)."
6) Top three products from Fresh Beauty you'd recommend: "The Soy Face Cleanser because it's gentle and hydrating; the Black Tea Kombucha Essence—I know the OG would be SK-II's Facial Treatment Essence but Fresh Beauty's essence is more affordable and it can give you great results as well; and the last would be the masks that I've mentioned above. I like the Rose Sleeping Mask too."
7) One beauty product you'd bring if you were stranded on an island: "A huge bottle of sunscreen. I remember going to Hawaii and forgetting to put sunscreen and I got a really bad sunburn. I like Supergoop! as they have so many different kinds. The 100% Mineral Matte one is great because it has a slight coverage and has a mattifying effect. I personally really like the Zinc Sunscreen for its hydrating finish. The Unseen Sunscreen is completely transparent and is great for those who don't like a white cast."
8) Your go-to acne remedy: "I use Sunday Riley's Good Genes and Luna Sleeping Oil together. I also like to spot treat my acne with Sand & Sky Australian Pink Clay overnight and it really works. I've tried other clays masks and tea tree oils but this works the best for me. It has retinol in the ingredient list and I would recommend that.
9) A hair product you cannot live without: "I have very thin hair that tends to look flat. I've been obsessed with these two products: Ryo Scalp Deep Cleansing Scaler EX and Yves Rocher Hair Rinsing Vinegar. I use the former to exfoliate my scalp before shampooing, and the latter after that—I leave a few drops on my scalp for a few minutes before washing it off. It gives volume to my hair and both are my current favourites."
10) A pro tip in organising a beauty space: "Store your products in an enclosed space (shelf or drawers) to prevent it from collecting dust. I organise them by category, and then by the brand. I'm not sure if this is the best way to organise my beauty products, but I like to have it all arranged in a way that allows me to see everything as I open my drawer (it prevents me from getting anxious when I'm looking for products!)"
This interview has been condensed and edited for clarity.
Click here for more BURO. Hangouts: Live sessions.