Naughty but nice: Quinoa and shrimp stir fry
Fried rice without the guilt
Quinoa started to gain popularity in the past few years even though it has been a staple food in Central America for centuries. Quinoa has earned itself the “superfood” title among other trendy health foods. Some of the health benefits that led to quinoa’s rise to fame are its high protein and fibre content, its low calorie count, and its low glycemic index (a fancy way of saying that it prevents heart disease and diabetes).
This nutty grain — that some people would argue is actually a seed — is also a highly versatile ingredient for cooking. You can use it as a base ingredient (in substitute of rice) or even as a side. Some people use it to make vegetarian burger patties because it gives it a nice crunch. We make good use of quinoa with this recipe by using this healthy substitute for rice in its most tasty and sinful form. Who says healthy food can’t have a naughty side?
Quinoa and Shrimp Stir Fry
- 220g shrimp
- 4 cups chilled quinoa, preferably cooked the night before
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 tablespoon soy sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoon teriyaki sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- 1. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in wok until melted.
2. Add egg and cook until scrambled. Remove egg onto plate.
3. Add additional 1 tablespoon of butter into wok until melted. Then, add garlic, carrots, and onion. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and saute for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Increase heat to high and add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Stir until melted.
5. Immediately add quinoa, scallions, and sauces. Stir until combined.
6. Add in the eggs and stir to combine for another 3 minutes.
7. Add in sesame oil and stir to combine.
8. Remove from heat and serve.
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection
A glimpse into the mind and practice of Anniketyni Madian
7 Things you can do this weekend: 18—19 November 2017
5 Cool co-working spaces in KL you’ll want to work in
Review: Is the Samsung Galaxy Note8 worth it?
Owl post: 3 Fresh Harry Potter-related news to know
Buro 24/7 Selection