DIY Health Tip: Brew your own kefir drink
Easy and healthy
Kefir is a probiotic drink that is made with kefir grains. It originated in Eastern Europe and it is believed that it's name came from the Turkish word keyif, which means good feeling.
Due to its fermentation process, kefir is slightly bubbly and has a tart and sweet taste to it. The drink is made with either kefir grains or a kefir powder starter kit. Kefir grains are made of good bacteria and yeast, and are reusable for at least 2-7 times depending on hygienic practices when you make them.
The health benefits of kefir are abundant and far more than yogurt. Kefir contains several strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt that aid in digestion, protect your body against infection, reduce the risk of osteoporosis, and improve symptoms of asthma and allergies.
Kefir is generally tolerated by people who suffer from lactose intolerance. However, to make kefir that is 100% lactose free, it is possible to use filtered water, coconut water, or even non-dairy milks such as almond milk and rice milk.
The process of making kefir is simple:
1. In a small jar, add 1-2 tablespoons of kefir grains.
2. Pour in 2 cups of organic milk (or other liquids) and leave one inch of room at the top of the jar.
3. If you'd like a thicker kefir, add some full fat cream.
4. Put the lid on and leave it at room temperature for 12-36 hours.
5. When it starts to look clumpy, strain the liquid and leave behind the kefir grains.
6. You may reuse the kefir grains by placing it into a new jar and repeating the process.
7. Enjoy your nutritious kefir drink.
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection
Bocosan Izakaya @ Bangsar South: Japanese izakaya experience redefined
Owl post: 3 Fresh Harry Potter-related news to know
A look at all of Serena Williams’ gorgeous gowns at her fairytale wedding
Tod's teams up with Anna Dello Russo for a circus act
Diptyque celebrates Malaysian culture with its new boutique
Buro 24/7 Selection