This Steamed Garlic Prawns dish is a classic healthy Chinese method of steaming prawns with lots of garlic
The Chinese love the steaming method for preparing seafood, and believe that steaming is probably the 'best' cooking method for most seafood, preserving the seafood's delicate flavour and natural 'sweetness' while keeping it moist. Steaming is not only easy, it is also a very healthy cooking technique.
Do not underestimate the simplicity of the dish; you will be blown away by how flavourful this simple dish is and be asking for more. As with most steamed dishes, this dish should, of course, be served piping hot, preferably right from the stove top to the dining table. So I suggest that you steam this dish just before dinner is served as the prawns take such a short time to cook. Do remember to avoid overcooking the prawns as there is really nothing that can be done to rescue rubbery, overcooked prawns. Check on the doneness of the prawns at five minutes; if the flesh still looks translucent, steam for another one to two minutes.
1 whole head garlic - minced finely (the easiest way is to use a food chopper/ processor)
3 tablespoon sunflower oil (or other vegetable oil)
1. With a pair of sharp kitchen scissors, remove the whiskers and the legs. Gently butterfly the prawns with scissors and remove the veins. Be careful not to cut too deep to avoid cutting the prawn into half. Place the prawns on a heatproof deep dish plate.
2. Place minced garlic in a small heatproof bowl. Heat up a small pot with vegetable oil until it starts to smoke. Pour heated oil over the garlic, it will make a crackling sound. Be careful when handling the pot with hot oil.
3. While waiting for the garlic to cool down, place a steam rack inside a large wok or pot, fill with water, and bring it to rapid boil.
4. Spoon garlic and oil into each prawn or just on top of the prawns.
5. Place the prawns and steam for about 5-8 minutes. Remember to check at the 5-minute mark for doneness to avoid overcooking the prawns.
6. Mix soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl. Spoon sauce over cooked prawns, garnish with green onions if using and serve immediately.
Get more nutritious yet delicious recipes like this on PurelyB, a healthy lifestyle website.