Everything you need to know about the upcoming Spring/Summer 2018 Fashion Month
Things to note
1. The daughter of supermodel Cindy Crawford (and a supermodel in the making), 16-year-old Kaia Gerber will be making her runway debut at New York Fashion Week, as she is now eligible to walk in the shows. The brands have yet to be announced, so keep your eyes peeled until then.
2. Actress Eva Longoria will also be making her debut at NYFW, but as a fashion designer. She'll be showcasing her eponymous line as part of Kia STYLE360's line-up. We're looking forward to seeing her BFF Victoria Beckham front row.
3. Mansur Gavriel fans: the brand is finally launching its ready-to-wear collection, and if it's anything like its popular handbags, expect sculptural and minimum pieces to be introduced. The brand has expanded its team to a total of 30 people to prepare for its ready-to-wear debut.
Back in NYC:
1. After two successful seasons in Paris, Rihanna will be moving her Fenty x Puma show back to New York. This will be her second time showing in New York (and first during September Fashion Week) since she launched the line in Autumn 2016. She will be showing a late-night presentation on the 10th of September—two days after her highly anticipated Fenty Beauty line is scheduled to launch.
2. Also back in New York's September calendar; Tom Ford is ditching his see-now-buy-now formula by showing his Spring 2018 collection on the first day of NYFW. If you're taking notes from his previous shows, a star-studded front row is definitely not to be missed.
Change of space
1. The Fashion Month sees a myriad of one-of-a-kind show-spaces, but Ralph Lauren might take the cake this round. His see-now-buy-now collection will be shown at his garage (yes, you read that right) in Bedford, New York, amongst his prized vintage cars. The designer will also be showcasing his Purple Label menswear line alongside the women's collection for the first time.
2. While Ralph Lauren is taking things up a notch, a few labels are downsizing by opting for intimate presentations instead of runway shows. Derek Lam, Narciso Rodriguez and Rag & Bone will be presenting the looks from their Spring 2018 collection in their own showrooms.
To be confirmed:
1. According to various reports, Kanye West is scheduled to launch Yeezy Season 6 during New York Fashion Week as per usual, but no details have been announced yet. He was recently spotted out and about in a pair of unreleased all-black iteration of the Yeezy adiPRENE+ Runners sneakers—a sneak peek of the upcoming collection maybe?
On the move:
1. Following its first show outside of New York with an outdoor show at Venice Beach, Los Angeles in February, Tommy Hilfiger is moving its crew to London for the third #TommyXGigi collection. The see-now-buy-now line will be available on the brand's website immediately post-show. Here's a sneak peek of the rocker-chic collection:
2. Emporio Armani will also be relocating from Milan with a show during London Fashion Week for the first time. The brand will be throwing a big party in celebration of the reopening of its Bond Street store.
1. Burberry will be showcasing its see-now-buy-now collection at the Old Sessions House—a 1782 Palladian courthouse that has been closed to public for over 100 years—and in conjunction with that, the brand will be introducing a photography exhibition, titled "Here We Are" which explores "the British way of life and character". More than 200 works from over 30 photographers will be displayed over three floors at the new show venue from the 18th of September to 1st of October. Check out its chief creative officer Christopher Bailey's introduction of the exhibition:
Boys and girls:
1. A list of brands will be hopping on the co-ed bandwagon, and to mark the 20th-anniversary show of its creative director Angela Missoni, Missoni will be doing a coed show. The fashion label was founded by Angela's parents in 1953.
2. Etro will also be combining its men's and women's shows this season, but what differs it from the rest of the brands, is that the two collections are helmed by two different designers. Womenswear is led by Veronica Etro, while menswear is managed by her brother, Kean Etro.
1. Salvatore Ferragamo will be unveiling a new women's fragrance during fashion week, and it will also be organising an evening event after its show at the Milan Bourse.
New in town:
1. Following fellow American brands Proenza Schouler and Rodarte footsteps (they recently showed their Spring 2018 collections in Paris during Haute Couture week), Altuzarra and Thom Browne are also opting to showcase in Paris end of the month. Born and raised in Paris, Joseph Altuzarra mentioned that it's always been his dream to show in his hometown, and this season it'll be his first.
2. Under creative director Felipe Oliveira Baptista, Lacoste will also be relocating back to Paris after 13 years in New York, and from the looks of it, the city might just be their new home. The show will kick-start the French brand's 85th birthday festivities, which will mostly be held in 2018.
1. Clare Waight Keller, who joined Givenchy after six years at Chloé will be making her first collection debut with a coed show. She gave a first look on what's to come under her direction with a black-and-white teaser campaign featuring sultry models and black cats.
2. Also making their debut, Natacha Ramsay-Levi who took the helm at Chloé following Clare's departure, and Lanvin's Olivier Lapidus, who is Bouchra Jarrar's successor. The former has been Nicolas Ghesquiere's longtime associate at both Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton, while the latter was previously at Balmain Homme and Maison Lapidus (his father's brand) until it closed in 2000.
1. Designer Virgil Abloh recently gave a sneak peek of his muse behind Off-White's Spring/Summer'18 collection, and it's none other than the late Princess Diana. The tribute couldn't be more timely as the British royal family mourns her 20th death anniversary. 40 looks—all inspired Princess Diana—will be sent down the runway at its show.
More updates to follow.
Buro 24/7 Selection
- Image: Getty Images
Buro 24/7 Selection
5 Popular Instagram spots around the world
7 Things you can do this weekend: 20—21 January 2018
Nars has a new foundation and it comes in 33 amazing shades
Benefit Cosmetics' new AR tool helps you find the perfect brow shape seamlessly
Sip on cocktails to a stunning view of KL Tower at Man Tao
Buro 24/7 Selection